The Zollpackhof, located across the Chancellery building, became Berlin’s first restaurant destination as early as 1700. When it was re-opened in 2005, Berlin native and restaurateur Benjamin Groenewold gave back a piece of tradition to the capital.
After long renovations from 2014 to 2016, in cooperation with Munichâs Augustiner-BrĂ€u, the historic complex now shines with new life. The overall architectural concept was based on old building plans from the turn of the century.
The first settlers
It all began on 8 th of November 1685 with the âEdict of Potsdamâ. The gruesomely persecuted Huguenots of France were given new lives in Prussia by Elector Friedrich Wilhelm. The incentives for settling in Prussia were religious tolerance, initial financial assistance, a 15-year period of tax exemption, and complete integration into society. This migration was attractive for both sides, as many migrants were highly qualified and brought with them their esprit
and many culinary ideas. The only problem was the lack of space for the roughly 20,000 protestant refugees from France. The âAit of Moabitâ, a plot of land consisting of heather, damp fields and many trees on the northern shore of the Spree, and at the time located outside of Berlinâs gates, was suitable.
One of the first settlers was Monsieur Menard. In 1698 Elector Friedrich III bestowed upon Menard a mountain for vineyard cultivation at the mouth of the Niederschoenhausen trench on the Spree. Yet the vineyard alone did not satisfy Menard, and so he founded an inn with a garden. The âMenardieâ soon
became a popular destination for the Huguenots in Berlin as well as Berlin society. Menard laid the foundation for what would become over 300 years of gastronomy history at the very location where the restaurant Zollpackhof is now situated.
A PLACE WITH HISTORY
The history of the land
The history of the land is just as multi-faceted as the history of Prussia itself: in 1717, north of the street âOld Moabitâ, a powder factory was constructed and relocated to Spandau 120 years later for safety reasons. A royal lumberyard was located on the former âpowder fieldâ in the meantime. Located in that same spot from 1811 to 1815 was Tichyâs Bathhouse, an open-air river pool for Berlinâs residents. Berlinâs first swimming club was founded here in 1840. When Lehrter Station opened up in the immediate proximity in 1871, the bathhouse of Berlinâs first rail connection had to move to Lehrte in Hanover. There was supposed to be room here for a new packing site as well as tax and customs offices. One of these buildings was called the âSpiritus-Hofâ and was eventually
used as a casino. Up until 1920 the area was still a popular destination.
After the Second World War, both Lehrter Station and the vicinity of the packing site were largely destroyed, and only the casino was mostly undamaged.
The ruins of the station were finally demolished, but the packing site still belonged to the customs administration. Some forwarding companies settled in this location, but otherwise the beautiful land slumbered in a deep sleep until the Berlin Wall fell.
MORE RECENT HISTORY
After the fall of the Berlin Wall, the reunification, and the governmentâs relocation to Berlin, the traditional land on the Spree boomed. With trees that had been there for centuries, direct access to the riverside promenade, and a view of the Chancellery building and the Swiss embassy, the Zollpackhof impresses with its new charm. The restaurant is in the new heart of the city and some of Berlinâs most exciting sights are just a stoneâs throw away, such as the federal Chancellery, Potsdamer Platz, the Brandenburg Gate, the Reichstag, the victory column, the zoo, and Bellevue Palace.
In cooperation with the brewery Augustiner-BrĂ€u in Munich, a traditional tavern formed with one of the cityâs most beautiful beer gardens beneath old,Â shaded trees. Hearty Bavarian-Austrian cuisine awaits our guests inside. A modern, cosy tavern ambience with round fireplace and large, imposing chandeliers invite guests to relax.